The Maryland Office of the Public Defender is an independent state agency with over 900 employees dedicated to providing superior legal representation to indigent defendants in the State of Maryland. The Office of the Public Defender seeks a dynamic and dedicated litigator to serve as the Supervising Attorney in the Baltimore City Misdemeanor Jury Trial Division. Located in the heart of Baltimore City, the Misdemeanor Jury Trial Division’s 24 attorneys, social workers, and support staff handle over 8,000 criminal jury trial prayers, violation of probation hearings, and child support cases per year.
Supervising Attorney Responsibilities:
• Reports directly to the Chief Attorney for the Baltimore City Misdemeanor Jury Trial Division.
• Responsible for staff attorneys’ case assignment, workload monitoring, case reviews, performance evaluation and professional development and training.
• Under the direction of the Chief Attorney, represents the Misdemeanor Jury Trial Division to the Baltimore City Circuit Court and criminal justice organizations in advocating for the administrative needs of the Division and the needs of our clients.
• Maintains a partial caseload and shares responsibility for ensuring effective operations of the Misdemeanor Jury Trial Division.
• Handles telephone inquiries and correspondence from clients and the public.
• Participates in the management team of the Baltimore City District Public Defender.
• Works with the Training Division and the agency’s other district offices to support effective representation through participation in developing relevant policies, practices and trainings.
Supervising Attorney Qualifications:
• Demonstrated commitment to zealous, comprehensive public defense.
• Substantial litigation experience and strong litigation skills (2-5 years felony experience preferred).
• Demonstrated leadership abilities, including management & supervisory abilities (1-2 years preferred).
• Strong mentoring skills.
• Active membership in good standing in the Maryland Bar or bar of another state required. Out of state barred attorneys must become admitted to the Maryland Bar within 18 months of start.
The Supervising Attorney position will commence in December, 2012 and is located at 201 East Baltimore Street, Suite 1430, Baltimore, Maryland 21202. Assistant Public Defenders, including the Supervising Attorney for the Misdemeanor Jury Trial Division are Special Appointment, full time employees who serve at the pleasure of the Public Defender (Maryland Code, Criminal Procedure Article, Section 16-203(d)). Assistant Public Defenders cannot engage in the private practice of law while in this position.
Please a submit a cover letter addressing the above qualifications with salary requirements, current resume, attorney application found at www.opd.state.md.us
and 3 written letters of reference to:
Supervising Attorney-Baltimore City MJT Division
Office of the Public Defender
6 Saint Paul St., Suite 1304
Baltimore, MD 21202
Attention: Hiring Committee
Closing Date: October 12, 2012