The Employee and Labor Relations Division promotes the efficient functioning of State government so that its performance meets the high expectations of the citizens of Maryland. It does this by providing services to address work disputes, grievance resolution, and disciplinary appeals. It also provides guidance to supervisors, managers, and personnel officers in the State Personnel Management System.
The Division provides:
• Settlement conferences for Disciplinary and Grievance appeals
• Mediation of employee disputes
• Guidance to Agencies on Leave Issues
• Guidance to Agencies on the performance evaluation process (PEP)
• Guidance to Agencies on collective bargaining/MOUs
The Division also coordinates:
• Employee Assistance Program, which provides confidential and professional referral and assessment services to State employees who are experiencing personal difficulties that are adversely affecting their work performances. Typically, the employee is referred by his or her supervisor.
Employees experiencing difficulties with domestic violence can find helpful resources through judiciary's Domestic Violence Webpage.
The State Social Security Administrator is located within the Employee and Labor Relations Division, and is responsible for assuring proper coverage of governmental entities under the Social Security Act, and acting as a liaison with related federal agencies.