How Do I Find Out for Which Jobs I Qualify?
Review the job listings on our website, workformaryland.com for positions of interest. Job announcements include information concerning salary, minimum qualifications, closing date, duties and location.
When is the listing updated?
Job listings are updated daily. Job announcements are generally posted for at least 2 weeks.
What Are The Different Types of Appointments?
• Skilled and Professional Service - Positions with full benefits (sick, annual and personal leave, holidays, retirement, health and related benefits); in the Merit System
• Special Appointments, Management and Executive Service - Positions with full benefits; but employment is at the pleasure of the hiring authority
• Contractual Positions - Positions with no benefits or, whatever benefits are offered by the hiring agency; employment is at the pleasure of the hiring authority
Glossary of Terms
What do these terms mean?
• Position Specific Recruitment or PSR - a recruitment may be conducted for a specific position in a particular agency.
• Minimum Qualifications - the educational and experience requirements needed to be considered for employment.
• Limitations on Selection - limitations to specific departments or units. Limitations may also be geographic in nature.
• Selective Qualifications – qualifications that are specific to the recruited class. These required qualifications further define the educational and/or experience required for that specific position. For example, a position that has a minimum qualification of a Bachelor’s Degree, the Selective Qualification may require the Bachelor of Science degree to contain certain coursework.
• Preferred/Desirable Qualifications – qualifications that the agency would prefer a candidate to possess, but are not required.
• OC or Open and Continuous – Recruitments without closing dates. Applications are continuously accepted for these jobs to fill current, anticipated or recurring vacancies.
• Open Until Filled – Applications will be accepted for a job until that job is filled. These jobs may close suddenly, without a specific closing date.
• Closing Date - This is the last date on which you may apply for a posted job. Information on the job announcement will indicate if postmarks are accepted or if applications must be received by the closing date.
How do I apply?
When applying for jobs in the Skilled and Professional Service you must file an MS-100 Application for Maryland State Employment. You may not submit a resume as a substitute for the MS-100. For jobs OTHER than Skilled and Professional Service, there may be other instructions on how to apply. Follow the instructions on each job announcement.
More detailed information on the application process
Where do I apply?
Send your application materials to the agency and address listed on the job announcement. Sending your application to an incorrect location may result in your application not being considered.
What if I need more information? Who should I call?
If you have additional questions, please call our job information line at 410-767-4850
Revised August, 2011